Aim: Become a student have an opportunity to learn some basic computer hardware skills so you can volunteer to help other by repairing and recycling old computers, repair their own equipment. If you live in the Bradford area this is an amazing opportunity to developing skills further in hardware repairs or building new computers.
Sessions are held online every week on a Tuesday from 2pm to 4pm for 12 weeks.
You will get old PC to practice and learning with, the ultimate challenge will be to bring it back to life!
What will you learn:
- Learn what tools and equipment are needed to carry out basic computer repairs.
- Identify hardware engineering risks and basic safety requirements
- Identify the basic layout of a computers and its parts.
- Know key basic electronic principles needed to understand how a computer works
- Learn how to replace faulty parts and test computer operation by know some simple diagnostic techniques.
- Learn how to research and procure replacement parts increase understanding and knowledge of manufacturers, interfaces, and compatibility.
- Learn how to set up a new computer by installing an operating system practice using the BIOS and different Operating Systems.
What activities will you do:
- Identify safety requirements: Tools, manual handling, hazardous substances, electrical hazards.
- Identify electronics and hardware: Electronic and computer hardware components. Use Ohms and Power Laws.
- Define and explain how digital technology works.
- Identify ports and connectors. Connect a computer system and running a computer system.
- Access and using the “BIOS”.
- Creating and using software boot tools.
- Accessing and using disk management tools including formatting and partitioning disk drives.
- Diagnostic process, testing and observing results.
- Looking at common faults.
- Replacing faulty components.
- Developing repair solutions and options.
- Practical sessions
- Sourcing spares and fitting problems.
- Installing operating systems.
- Using Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Review and Evaluation.